RPJ Performance Motorsports Machine Shop
Cylinder Repair Labor Price Guide
( some prices may vary, Cuts over .080 are considered Big Bore and additional charges apply )
* Bore & Hone 4 Stroke Cylinders up to .080 over size $40.00 Pr. Hole
* Bore & Hone 2 Stroke Cylinders Includes chamfer ports. $45.00 Pr. Hole
* Bore Harley Cylinder torque plates used $50.00 Pr. Hole
* 4 Stroke Replace Sleeve Drop In Type Includes Bore & Hone $60.00 Pr. Hole
* 4 Stroke to Big Bore or sleeves that have to be cut out $90.00 Pr. Hole
* Sleeve 2 Stroke Non Power valve, Does Not Include Removal of Studs $90.00 Pr. Hole
* Sleeve 2 Stroke Power-Valve Cyls. (does not include removal of studs or power-Valves) $125.00 Pr. Hole
* Harley Davidson 883 to 1200 Big Bore $100.00 Pr. Hole
* Bore Automotive Block, $Call
* Bore Marine, Blind Hole Block $Call
* Bore Kohler, Briggs, Golf Cart Block $Call
* Remove Stud $2.00 Each
* Remove Frozen or Broken Stud $25.00 Each
* Remove Power-Valves, Ultrasonic Clean and Re-Install $30 Each
* Cut back Power-Valve ( Required When Boring Over .020 ) $30.00 Each
Top End Kit Prices:
Includes Wiseco Piston Kit, Top End Gasket Set, Sleeve, Sleeve Installation, Boring, Honing, Deck Head Gasket Surface and Return Shipping within the US! (wrist bearing not included, add $15.00 Does not include stud or power-valve removal see above pricing.)
* 80 85cc Top End Kit price $290.00 (or $250 Using Namura Piston & Gaskets)
* 125cc Top End Kit Price $335.00 (or $295 Using Namura Piston & Gaskets)
* 250cc Top End Kit price $390.00 (or $350 Using Namua Piston & Gaskets)
* 500cc Top End Kit $445 ( Namura Pistons Not Available )
** For Models such as Honda CR. Kawasaki KX, Suzuki RM, Yamaha YZ **
How Cylinder Boring and Sleeve Install is Done
Motorcycle ATV and Snowmobile cylinders are bored on a special machine designed just for this type of cylinder. First the cylinder is cleaned and gaskets removed to ensure the cylinder mounts on the boring bar square. The cylinder is measured to determin bore size, then measure the oversize piston to be used, the cylinder is centered and jigged into the boring machine. Using a special instrument the carbide bit is adjusted to the desired cut then secured into the bar. Now the machine does the work until piston size is obtained, leaving aproxamently .002 of an inch for the honing
After Cylinder Sleeves are installed they need to be decked for a perfect head gasket seal, usually done with a fly cutter.
We hone cylinders in a honing tank with honing oil.
After a sleeve is installed the cylinder's head gasket surface must be decked to obtain a smooth flat mating surface, Not all cylinders can be decked.
Using a bore gauge to measure the cylinder is honed with a 45 degree cross hatch pattern until we get the correct piston to cylinder wall clearance. On a two stroke the ports have to be chamfered with special carbide grinders so the rings don't snag the ports.
Angle Die Grinder used to match sleeve to ports pictured right.
Cylinder Sleeve install - When a plated or sleeved cylinder is damaged or worn beyond spec. a Carbon Steel Sleeve can be installed. Some 4 stroke sleeves can usually be pressed out but 2 stroke sleeves needs to be cut out.
The cylinder will have an interference fit of .002 - .004 depending on application, the cylinder has to have a flange cut into the top to match the sleeve, After machining the cylinder it is heated in an oven to 400 degrees, this expands the cylinder so the sleeve can be slipped in, there is about a two second time frame to align the ports. If the ports are not aligned properly the sleeve will have to be cut out and start all over again. Once the sleeve is in place it has to be held in a press with a couple tons of down pressure to keep the sleeve from moving during cool down time. The sleeve would be set into the cylinder about .002 above the cylinder head gasket surface, so now the head gasket surface has to be decked so it is perfectly flat using a surface grinder or milling machine. Now the ports all will be cut to match the aluminum cylinder casting using small straight and angle grinders with carbide bits.
Not done yet! back to the boring bar, the sleeved cylinder now needs to have the bore match the piston and honed to size.
Quality Control - every cylinder is then cleaned in an Ultrasonic cleaning machine, then all gauges are re-calibrated and the piston to cylinder wall clearance is re-checked before shipping back to the customer.
Our work is fully guaranteed
Our sleeve installations are guaranteed to be in tolerance, never turn, settle or leak
Located within an hours drive from Buffalo, Rochester, Niagara Falls, Neighboring Lockport, Brockport, Batavia. RPJ Performance Works on most Makes and Models Including Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Harley, Polaris, Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo, Kohle,r yamaha, Golf cart, We do custom sleeve installs for Vintage Bikes and Engines, If you can buy a sleeve for your model we can install a custom sleeve for it!